Officers & Directors
Five Avenues of Service
Becoming A Member
Wausau Early Birds Rotary Newsletter
March 12, 2020
UPCOMING PROGRAM SCHEDULE
Speaker Invocation Greeters
March 12 Guest speaker Chad Sickler Shafto-Carlson, Sickler & Strasser
March 19 Jeff Mills Patti Shafto-Carlson
March 26 Dave Anderson Jim Schulz
April 2 Aaron Mull Mike Schlichte Szekeress, Utnehmer & Warsaw
April 9 Rick Nevers Dan Schaut
April 16 Club Work Day Rick Reyer
April 23 Meredith Otte Larissa Rebhahn
April 30 No Meeting (5th Thursday)
- Ann Lucas had the program.
- Susan Krolow, Director of the United Way’s Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) will be attending to provide an update on their program.
- For March 19th, Jeff Mills has invited Dr Jennifer Havel to present: "Tales of a Bee Keeper Part 2"
It is asked that members get their speaker in formation to Sheryl Hemp as soon as possible.
And…a reminder on speaker protocol…if you need to leave early, please introduce yourself to the speaker ahead of time and explain this to them. Thanks!
- Rebecca (Becky) Frisch – Director of Marathon County’s (Conservation, Planning & Zoning Department), also known as CPZ. 715-261-6000 or Rebecca.Frisch@co.marathon.wi.us
- Richard Barrett, Executive Director of Central Wisconsin Convention & Visitors Bureau (715) 355-8788 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Susan Weinschenk, Ph.D. of the River Valley Jazz Society to speak about the Jazz Society and about the jazz events planned for 2020. (847) 909-5946
- Susan Weinschenk, PhD could also speak about Music and the Brain, or The Science of Creativity as she is an international speaker on brain and behavioral science (847) 909-5946
- Paul Whitaker, a professor at UWSP/Marathon County would be able to speak about zoology, the bat population, plant and animal biology, ecology, environment, climate, invasive species or organic agriculture. He can be reached at (715) 261-6284 or email@example.com
- After mid-September , Deb Traeder would help to arrange for Olivia Hill as a guest speaker. She will be the new Executive Director of the Wausau Conservatory of Music. Deb can be reached at (715) 845-6279. Extension 101
MOBILE MEALS ROTATIONS
First Thursday of the Month - Gary France (Leader), Jeff Zriny, Patrick Kinney and Mary Weber
Second Thursday of the Month - Mike Schlichte (Leader), Gary Bezucha, Michael Loy and Greg Bardonner
Third Thursday of the Month - Nate Birchler (Leader), Jim Warsaw, Kyle Page, Tim Bodette and Aaron Mull
Fourth Thursday of the Month - Dick Jarvis (Leader), Pat Puyleart, Scott Brainard, Roger Utnehmer, Amy Wood and Tim Strasser
Fifth Thursday of the Month - Mary Weller (Leader), Rhonda Werner Schultz, Amy Wood and Beth Mueller
On call as needed basis - Jim Schulz, Randy Winter and Jean Burgener
March 12 Board Meeting
April 20 Honor Flight
May 1-2, 2020 District Conference – Oshkosh
May 18 Honor Flight
Aug. 28-29 Powerboat Races
WELCOME & FAREWELL
We offer a heartfelt welcome to our newest members – Lori Plaza and Connie Geiger! We also wish a fond farewell to Amy Mettlach.
FUNDRAISERS - Mission Support Team
- Jeff Mills and Jean Burgener provided an update on the Week in Ireland Trip (March 29-April 4, 2020). A full slate of 28 travelers has now been completed. It is anticipated that this will make about $11,000 for the club. Plans are underway for a second trip to Italy (and a cruise) for this October. This trip will be limited to 24 people and 21 have signed up already. The group may also start planning for 2 trips per year moving forward.
- The recent 12 Days of Christmas netted the club about $16,800. Plans are already under way to improve the event for next year – recruiting more sponsors and giving more prizes.
- The powerboat race fundraising event will be August 28-29. The team leading the event will be Tim, Mike and Chad.
All are reminded to fill out a President’s Pantry form when bringing in an item. This will help keep a record for the annual dinner auction.
Jennifer Havel had her winning ticket picked. She then picked a black marble. Better luck next time.
- To Tim Strasser for the invocation.
- To Jan Klosinski and all the volunteers for the recent President’s Dinner. It was an amazing night.
- Our Rotary club has sponsored the following groups and programs: The PAF, Honor Flight, Boys and Girls Club, Center Stage, Samoset Council, Hope Pregnancy Center, Meals on Wheels, Literacy Program, High School Scholarships, Radio Control Program, Celebrate Girl Scouts Banquet, Literacy Program at DC Everest, International flags, the Chart family, Women in Action, “A Walk in Their Shoes”, Good News, DC Everest Graduation party, The Grand, My Team Triumph, Walk In My Shoes, Talent Shop, Marathon County Foster Care Program, the Forrest Goetsch Charity and the Marathon County Public Library Literacy Corner.
- The service group has started the application for our club to host Rotary members from Uzbekistan next year.
- For anyone looking to make up a club meeting you can go on-line at www.oneworldrotary.org Per Ken Moberg, it is easy and takes a short amount of time. Another way to make up a meeting is to go to the District 6220 website and click on “quick links” for on-line meetings.
Board meetings will be held on the 2nd Thursday of the month following our regular club meeting. All members are welcome to attend.
NEWSLETTER CONTACT INFORMATION
Please send any newsletter events, contact information changes, general information or ideas to Sheryl Hemp at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
Access the club website is managed by Rhonda Werner Schultz–www.wausauearlyrotary.org/ In addition, the district rotary website is ridistrict6220.org, the foundation web-site is rotary.org/foundation, and the general rotary site is rotary.org.