Wausau Early Birds Rotary Newsletter
January 23, 2020
UPCOMING PROGRAM SCHEDULE
Speaker Invocation Greeters
January 23 Jeff Lindell Mary Weber Puyleart, Rebhahn &Reyer
January 30 No Meeting -5th Thursday
February 6 Karla Lodholz Jim Warsaw Schaut, Schlichte & Schulz
February 13 Guest speaker Roger Utnehmer
February 20 No meeting (Anniversary Dinner on the 23rd)
February 27 Michael Loy Tammy Szekeress
Jan Klosinski invited Bev Meyer and Tina Spiegel to update us on the Reading to Go program that we sponsor and support.
Jeff Lindell has invited Jen Smith - co-chair of the Marathon County School-Based Counseling Consortium who will share the collaborative work of local clinics, school districts, and community organizations.
- For February 6th, Karla Lodholz has invited Lisa Leitermann, Executive Director for the Humane Society of Marathon County. She will present on an overview of the Humane Society of Marathon County, upcoming special events, volunteer opportunities and needs of the Humane Society
- For February 13th, Kirk Howard will present “Water for South Sudan…Finally!” He will share an update on the water project our club’s co-sponsored through a district grant.
It is asked that members get their speaker information to Sheryl Hemp as soon as possible.
And…a reminder on speaker protocol…if you need to leave early, please introduce yourself to the speaker ahead of time and explain this to them. Thanks!
- Rebecca (Becky) Frisch – Director of Marathon County’s (Conservation, Planning & Zoning Department), also known as CPZ. 715-261-6000 or Rebecca.Frisch@co.marathon.wi.us
- Richard Barrett, Executive Director of Central Wisconsin Convention & Visitors Bureau (715) 355-8788 or email@example.com
- Susan Weinschenk, Ph.D. of the River Valley Jazz Society to speak about the Jazz Society and about the jazz events planned for 2020. (847) 909-5946
- Susan Weinschenk, PhD could also speak about Music and the Brain, or The Science of Creativity as she is an international speaker on brain and behavioral science (847) 909-5946
- Paul Whitaker, a professor at UWSP/Marathon County would be able to speak about zoology, the bat population, plant and animal biology, ecology, environment, climate, invasive species or organic agriculture. He can be reached at (715) 261-6284 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deb Traeder would help to arrange for Olivia Hill as a guest speaker. She will be the new Executive Director of the Wausau Conservatory of Music. Deb can be reached at (715) 845-6279. Extension 101
MOBILE MEALS ROTATIONS
First Thursday of the Month - Gary France (Leader), Jeff Zriny, Patrick Kinney and Mary Weber
Second Thursday of the Month - Mike Schlichte (Leader), Gary Bezucha, Michael Loy and Greg Bardonner
Third Thursday of the Month - Nate Birchler (Leader), Jim Warsaw, Kyle Page, Tim Bodette and Aaron Mull
Fourth Thursday of the Month - Dick Jarvis (Leader), Pat Puyleart, Scott Brainard, Roger Utnehmer, Amy Wood and Tim Strasser
Fifth Thursday of the Month - Mary Weller (Leader), Rhonda Werner Schultz, Amy Wood and Beth Mueller
On call as needed basis - Jim Schulz, Randy Winter and Jean Burgener
January Reading to Go Month
Jan. 30 Club Social - 5-7 p.m. at the Hilton Garden Inn
Feb. 13 Board Meeting
Feb 23 President’s Dinner – Wausau Country Club – 5-8 pm
May 1-2, 2020 District Conference – Oshkosh
Aug. 28-29 Powerboat Races
WELCOME & FAREWELL
We offer a heartfelt welcome to our newest member – Lori Plaza! We also wish a fond farewell and speedy recovery to our good friend and club member -Steve Goetsch!
FUNDRAISERS - Mission Support Team
- Jeff Mills and Jean Burgener provided an update on the Week in Ireland Trip (March 29-April 4, 2020). A full slate of 28 travelers has now been completed. It is anticipated that this will make about $11,000 for the club. Plans on underway for a second trip to Italy (and a cruise) for this October. This trip will be limited to 24 people and 14 have signed up already. The group may also start planning for 2 trips per year moving forward.
- The recent 12 Days of Christmas netted the club about $16,800. Plans are already under way to improve the event for next year – recruiting more sponsors and giving more prizes.
- The powerboat race fundraising event will be August 28-29. The team leading the event will be Tim, Mike and Chad.
All are reminded to fill out a President’s Pantry form when bringing in an item. This will help keep a record for the annual dinner auction.
Nate Birchler had his winning ticket picked. He then picked a black marble. Better luck next time.
- To Mary Weller for the invocation.
- To Pat Puyleart and Jim Warsaw for coordinating the recent Love is International event. Thanks to all the volunteers.
- To Jean Burgener for coordinating RYLA and scholarships for the past five years!
- Our Rotary club has sponsored the following groups and programs: The PAF, Honor Flight, Boys and Girls Club, Center Stage, Samoset Council, Hope Pregnancy Center, Meals on Wheels, Literacy Program, High School Scholarships, Radio Control Program, Celebrate Girl Scouts Banquet, Literacy Program at DC Everest, International flags, the Chart family, Women in Action, “A Walk in Their Shoes”, Good News, DC Everest Graduation party, The Grand, My Team Triumph, Walk In My Shoes, Talent Shop, Marathon County Foster Care Program, the Forrest Goetsch Charity and the Marathon County Public Library Literacy Corner.
- The service group has started the application for our club to host Rotary members from Uzbekistan next year.
- For anyone looking to make up a club meeting you can go on-line at www.oneworldrotary.org Per Ken Moberg, it is easy and takes a short amount of time. Another way to make up a meeting is to go to the District 6220 website and click on “quick links” for on-line meetings.
Board meetings will be held on the 2nd Thursday of the month following our regular club meeting. All members are welcome to attend.
NEWSLETTER CONTACT INFORMATION
Please send any newsletter events, contact information changes, general information or ideas to Sheryl Hemp at email@example.com. Thanks!
Access the club web-site as managed by Rhonda Werner Schultz –www.wausauearlyrotary.org/ In addition, the district rotary web-site is ridistrict6220.org, the foundation web-site is rotary.org/foundation, and the general rotary site is rotary.org.