Wausau Early Birds Rotary Newsletter
September 10, 2020
UPCOMING PROGRAM SCHEDULE
Please note - Meetings will be held via Zoom at least through October so any presenter will have to have access to Zoom and he able to participate via the internet.
September 10 Rick Reyer Mike Schlichte
September 17 Dan Schaut Ray Connor
September 24 Mike Schlichte Rebecca Oteri
October 1 Jim Schulz Rick Nevers
October 8 Service Project “Show and Tell” Aaron Mull
October 15 Chad Sickler Beth Mueller
October 22 George Snyder Jeff Mills
October 29 No Meeting (5th Thursday)
Larissa Rebhahn invited Matt Foss, the Assistant Director of the Leigh Yawley Woodson Museum. He received his BA and MA in History from University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. He is originally from Door County and lives in Wausau with his wife Mallory, daughter Lucy and son Brooks. He told the story of Wausau's own "Crazy Legs" Elroy Hirsch.
Rick Reyer has invited Nick Hylla -the Executive Director of the Midwest Renewable Energy Association (MREA). Nick will be giving us an introduction to the MREA, talk about the new Midwest Grow Solar Partnership and preview the upcoming Wisconsin Solar Tour.
- For September 17, Dan Schaut has invited Wausau Mayor Katie Rosenberg to give an update on the City.
- For September 24, Mike Schlichte has invited Todd Van Ryn & -the director of the Bridge Street Mission to speak about their programming
- For October 8, "A review of the wide range of WEBR service projects will be provided by our club members who coordinate these various programs. Not only will members learn what the programs are about, but they will also learn what our volunteer needs are for each and how to step forward to get involved if they are not involved already." All are urged to invite guests.
It is asked that members get their speaker information and bios to Connie Geiger (our program chair) as soon as possible. Contact her if you have any questions or if there are any issues she can assist you with. Please notify her with any switches or changes so she can get all information to our PR/media team to use in publicity.
And…a reminder on speaker protocol…if you need to leave early, please introduce yourself to the speaker ahead of time and explain this to them. Thanks!
- Susan Weinschenk, PhD could speak about Music and the Brain, or The Science of Creativity as she is an international speaker on brain and behavioral science (847) 909-5946
- Paul Whitaker, a professor at UWSP/Marathon County would be able to speak about zoology, the bat population, plant and animal biology, ecology, environment, climate, invasive species or organic agriculture. He can be reached at (715) 261-6284 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deb Traeder would help to arrange for Olivia Hill as a guest speaker. She is the new Executive Director of the Wausau Conservatory of Music. Deb can be reached at (715) 845-6279. Extension 101
- Lee Rasch -executive director of LeaderEthics-Wisconsin, a non-profit, nonpartisan organization based out of La Crosse. They focus on promoting ethical leadership principles within the American democracy, while taking special caution to remain nonpartisan. Contact email@example.com.
- Donna Ambrose - the Executive Director @ The Neighbors Place to give an update on their programming and its role working with the United Way and Hunger Coalition
- Maggie Cronin (715)581-7353 to speak about the Joseph Project - a program that connects those genuinely seeking employment with opportunities that already exist.
- Patrick Hoerter- Regarding his 5 year journey to open JoJo's Jungle, an all-inclusive playground for children with disabilities.
MOBILE MEALS ROTATIONS
First Thursday of the Month - Gary France (Leader), Jeff Zriny and Patrick Kinney
Second Thursday of the Month - Mike Schlichte (Leader), Gary Bezucha, Michael Loy and Greg Bardonner
Third Thursday of the Month - Nate Birchler (Leader), Jim Warsaw, Kyle Page, Tim Bodette, Lori Plaza and Aaron Mull
Fourth Thursday of the Month - Dick Jarvis (Leader), Pat Puyleart, Scott Brainard, Roger Utnehmer, Amy Wood and Tim Strasser
Fifth Thursday of the Month - Mary Weller (Leader), Rhonda Werner Schultz, Amy Wood and Beth Mueller
On call as needed basis - Jim Schulz, Randy Winter and Jean Burgener
Sept. 10 Board Meeting
Oct. 10 District Assembly
October 10 Pints for Polio -Bull Falls Brewery (4-8pm)
Dec. 3-18 12 Days of Christmas fundraiser (Please see Dave Anderson’s email of 9/2 for details)
April 9-16, 2021 Ireland trip
April 30-May 1 District Conference
June 12-16 International Conference
We offer a heartfelt welcome to our newest member – Maggie Cronin.
All are reminded to fill out a President’s Pantry form when bringing in an item. This will help keep a record for the annual dinner auction.
- Rick – Boulder Junction – rice basket
- Ann and Mary – Souper supper (4 soups delivered throughout the year)
- Ray – 2 bottles of BBQ sauce and bourbon
- To our visitors James Bouche and Don Fitzgerald.
- To Kalynn Pempek for the invocation.
- To Randy Winter for all of his technologic assistance in making our weekly zoom meetings work!
- For all the virtual Happy/Sad dollars given by club members recently. And thanks to Todd for keeping a running tally!
- Thank you to Jennifer Havel, Dave Anderson, and Jim Warsaw for their great work on submitting a grant for Rotary's Covid-19 Response Disaster grant funding. The grant, in conjunction with the Rotary Club of Wausau has provided funding for the Hunger Coalition to support weekend food for 400 kids in rural areas of our county. Randy Winter shares with the club a video of the program and process. The video is available to watch on our Rotary Facebook page. She also announces (on 9/3) a second grant ($6500) has been received to be used for the same purpose.
- We congratulate Ray Connor as this year’s winner of the club Service Above Self award. He joins the illustrious company of past award winners.
- Dan Schaut presented a Paul Harris Foundation Level 6 to Roger Utnehmer.
- Dues: The WEBR Board voted to reduce the club's 4th quarter dues to reflect the cost of 6 meals in July and August (6 x $8 = $48). We will monitor this going forward for possible future adjustments. If any club members need assistance, please contact Dave Anderson
- We will not have a roadside clean-up this Spring. It has been rescheduled to the fall.
- At this point in time the Ireland trip has been rescheduled to April 9-16, 2021. Please contact Jean Burgener or Jeff Mills if interested.
Board meetings will be held on the 2nd Thursday of the month following our regular club meeting. All members are welcome to attend.
NEWSLETTER CONTACT INFORMATION
Please send any newsletter events, contact information changes, general information or ideas to Sheryl Hemp at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!??
Access the club web-site as managed by Rhonda Werner Schultz – www.wausauearlyrotary.org/ In addition, the district rotary web-site is ridistrict6220.org, the foundation web-site is rotary.org/foundation, and the general rotary site is rotary.org.